Do you see data or a better way to improve business and lives?
Today, there’s a business advantage hiding in plain sight, and you’ll find it in data. Our Data Engineers know how to use the latest technology to design, evaluate, debug and manage the data that leads to better decisions, a stronger company, and higher customer satisfaction. So if you’re not intimidated by the data explosion, engineer your career here.
More than the data on what you’ll be doing.
There’s no end to the data that’s created every day and the opportunities you find here. As a Sr. Data Engineer for the Vendor Charge Management Team within Technologies Vendor and Business Management Organization your primary role will be to support data integration and data structure management for Mainframe and End User Computing Product Cost Reporting. This role will support the team by identifying the best tools for data visualization for team usage, financial data modeling, and database creation and database management. Vendor Charge Management team responsibilities are to govern vendor invoicing and provide financial product reporting and analytics for Mainframe and End User Computing.
- Ability to integrate and structure the data so there are linkages from multiple sources
- Identify the best tools for team to use to access and analyze the data
- Analyze data for trends and support the team to report on those trends
- Ability to help team create automated data visualization dashboards for reporting
- Ability to review our current data structure and recommend the right Infra solution if needed
- Performs all technical aspects of data architecture and database management including developing new database structures
- Performs transformation of logical data architectures into physical data designs, according to database design best practices and standards
- Provides database administration services to projects creating, extending or maintaining databases, data warehouses and datamarts
- Debugs database components, identifies, fixes and verifies remediation of design and/or performance defects
- Performs ongoing refactoring of database design and continuously improves product to follow data placement procedures and re-use of existing databases as appropriate
- Ensure optimal data replication, performance, High Availability, backup and recovery processes exists to meet requirements, reduce cost and adhere to standards
- Leads in development of plans and strategies, best practices, and standards related to data management processes, data products, data security and programs
- Communicates and works collaboratively across multiple teams to support changes and implementation
- Works with team to prioritize features and managing a list of data requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
- Partner with delivery architects and engineers to design optional data tier solutions to meet enterprise platform objectives and goals
- Stays abreast of new DBMS features and functions and drive adoption across Amex to leverage product capabilities
- Contributes to decisions about tools, methods and approaches
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
Are you up for the challenge?
- SQL server experience Required
- Data management experience
- BI tool experience preferred
- Financial modeling experience required
- Solid communication & collaboration skills working with non-technical team members
- Able to facilitate discussions between Technology and business people, recognize issues of conflict and inconsistency between data requirements and pursue a resolution of these issues
- Is clear when explaining ideas and concepts to others, communication is structured and easy to understand
- 6+ years of database development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience
- Hands on expertise with design and development across one or more database management systems (e.g. IMS, DB2 zOS, Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Netezza (PDA/DB2AA)) as appropriate
- Experience with database development and support of OLTP and/or OLAP systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred
- Strong analytical skills with a demonstrated ability to understand and document business data requirements in complete, accurate, extensible and flexible logical data models, data modeling tools
- Evaluates and undertakes impact analysis on major design options for databases and assesses and manages associated risks
- Leads modification and maintenance of data structures and associated components according to logical and physical design structures for large or complex systems
- Mastered Metadata Management and Database Management
- Takes technical responsibility for all stages in the database development process
- Creates and/or uses System-of-Records (SORs) and identify data reuse
- Deep Technical knowledge of DBMS products and ecosystem – e.g. storage formats, access algorithms, data management processes, administration, data maintenance, replication, high availability, encryption, etc.
At the core of Data Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Database Design
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- SDLC Methodologies and Practices
- Business Analysis
- Data Analysis
- Data Management
- Analytical Thinking
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
Click here to view the “
EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the
Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
he links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new
browser window: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm and http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.