Cisco Systems, Inc.
Additional Location(s) or Information:
Job Category: Networking
Level of Experience: Experienced – Non Manager
Requisition #: S1000257
The Business Entity
The Internet is becoming the “Internet of Everything”, and “Things” are driving an explosion in the number of connected devices (sensors, machines, vehicles) as well as the volume of data: The “Internet of Things” or “IoT”. The IoT Software Platform team is building the next generation infrastructure to manage over 10 million devices and terabytes of data per second.
The scale required to connect, manage, secure, and move data from these devices in a useful way is unprecedented and is going to require significant innovation to meet the challenge. The IoT Software Platform team’s mission is to meet these challenges.
Our all-star team comprises of diverse engineers and leaders who have led both successful start-up acquisitions and enterprise security and software teams. We consider Agile to be a culture, not a process. Test-driven development is a baseline, and we apply behavior-driven development when it makes sense. We leverage open source where it makes sense and lead or contribute to these communities.
You: We are looking for team members to help define and build the IoT Software Platform. You will have visibility into customer needs and we want you to experiment and engage in work that produces results. If this sounds like a place you can thrive, and you believe that untested code is broken code, that working code trumps Power Point slides, we want to talk to you.
We want you to help contribute to our culture. We will take team learn and play fieldtrips and you will have resources for multiple mentors. These positions are based in Cisco's San Jose campus where you will work with the engineers, partners and customer’s deployments and POC projects. Many campus benefits include newly remodeled gym with person training and a full healthcare facility with physicians, dentists and optometrists on staff.
Role & Responsibilities
As a member of the IoT software engineering team, you will:
• Contribute to the architecture, design, implementation, and delivery of Cisco’s IoT Software Platform.
• Lead and/or Participate in the definition or adoption of APIs and micro-services that enable developers and partners that are building applications that bring connected devices to life.
• Implement highly horizontally scalable, distributed services that run in public, private and hybrid cloud infrastructures.
• Design and build unit and functional tests for your code.
• Provide technical leadership and mentoring for team members.
• BS in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent. New grads to experienced developers.
• 0 to 5 or more years experience developing infrastructure / backend software.
• Highly proficient in one or more of Python, Java, Ruby. You are able to implement new patterns and refactor code without specifications in one or more of these languages.
• Experience with a Web development framework such as Java MVC.
• Knowledge and experience with object-oriented design patterns.
• Knowledge and experience with contemporary development tools such as Git, continuous integration, automated testing frameworks, etc.
• Experienced with implementing back-end services in large / “web scale” distributed systems.
• Knowledge and experience with micro-services design and implementation.
• Knowledge and experience with Cloud and “Platform as a Service” environments or other application development platforms.
• Experience with Containers, Hadoop/Storm and message bus technologies is a plus.
• Strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to present your ideas succinctly as well as engage in constructive debate presenting your thoughts clearly and objectively.
• Strong team player, with ability to actively contribute in teams with different skill and experience levels.
• Self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and results-oriented.
• Able to navigate uncertainty and incomplete definitions and drive towards working software.
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.
Job Type: Experienced
Opportunity Category: Internet of Everything
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.