Division Corporate Core Job Type Regular Business Unit Corporate Technology Job Time Full-Time Functional Area RD – Research & Development Experience Level Mid Level Req ID 155876 Required Education Masters Degree Location NJ – Princeton Required Travel 30%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
Our support functions are split into two organizations, Corporate Core and Corporate Services. These organizations provide essential services to better enable responsible and profitable growth.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best
The Research in Digitalization and Automation (RDA), as part of Siemens Corporate Technology (CT), is at the heart of Siemens R&D. Our deep competence and expertise make us the preferred partner for innovation. We develop technologies with wide applicability so that Siemens may successfully bring innovations to market. Our scientists located around the world help create and retain a technological edge for Siemens in the focus area of automation, electrification and industrial digitalization.
Siemens CT is seeking a Senior Research Scientist to be part of our Embedded Networks Research Group in the Technology Field of Networks and Communication based in Princeton, NJ, US.
The Embedded Networks Research Group focuses on communication technologies for embedded networks, aiming at revolutionize industrial processes and systems with cutting edge web technologies. The group has been active in the Web of Things community, bringing connectivity to both legacy devices and next generation products. The group has also been leading the effort in standardizing and developing communication stacks for Electromobility, supporting Siemens vision to achieve Zero Emission, and piloting worldwide deployment of high power charging stations for electrical buses and cars.
The focus of this position will be on development of applications and communication protocols in the field of electric vehicle networks, contributing to international standards. The role involves identifying research strategies, initializing R&D projects with funding institutions, and driving projects with leading international OEMs and research institute. A particular attention to the development of web technology in the field of automation and control systems shall be paid. This position reports to the Head of Research Group, Embedded Networks US in the Network and Communication Technology Field.
The candidate will be responsible for identifying, formulating, validating, and integrating the R&D pilot and partner strategy in the domain of electric vehicle networks, and potentially to anchor web technologies in this domain. For this the candidate will interact, build up network and coordinate with commercial partners, funding institutions, Siemens business units and academia.
- Initialize and drive projects as key contact with internal and external partners and funding institutes in the focus area of the research group.
- Setup projects and pilot strategy aligned with the core research goals of the research group
- Lead and coordinating the projects to achieve the goals of the technology pilots and research strategy of the research group
- Development of applications and communication protocols for embedded networks, with focus on electric vehicle networks, web technologies, and automation systems.
- Jointly with the team members contribution to technology R&D Roadmap of the group
- Contribute to the definition and strategic positioning of the research questions in the team
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Masters Required, PhD preferred in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- 6+ years of professional experience in communication protocols development and implementation, ideally in the context of automotive applications and web technologies
- 4+ years of hands-on in coordination of development projects and R&D projects with partners from both automotive industry and infrastructure provides in the area of electric vehicle networks.
- Experienced in programming (C/C++, Python, etc.)
- Knowledge of communication stacks in the area of vehicle to grid, e.g. ISO 15118.
- Knowledge of communication stacks of today’s web and IoT.
- Knowledge/experience in implementation of IoT and distributed web applications
- Ability and motivation to learn and use new technologies
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in English required.
- The ability to multitask and make lead contributions in several projects.
- Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on: http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy‐guidance/deemed‐ exports/deemed‐exports‐faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Experience with various communication technologies, such as powerline communication, wireless networks, etc.
- Experience with distributed web applications and technologies (JSAN, XML, XSD, Java Script, node.JS)
- Understanding the business of Siemens to identify and apply use cases for new technologies to contribute to Siemens business growth.
- Previous experience interfacing with universities, start-ups, government labs, etc.
- Experience working with international and multicultural teams.
Siemens encourages qualified long-term unemployed individuals to apply for open positions.
Offer of employment with Siemens is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check and drug screen, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, disability status, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law:
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. Click here to learn more.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision:
Siemens follows Executive
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.