Senior Data Scientist –
Machine Learning (Boston, MA)
Lux Research is a rapidly growing company providing strategic advice and on-going intelligence for emerging technologies. Leaders in business, finance, and government rely on us to help them make informed decisions. Through our unique approach focused on primary research and extensive global network, we deliver insight, connections, and competitive advantage to our clients.
Lux Research is looking for an experienced data scientist to lead our budding machine learning work. This is a unique chance to help shape an exciting initiative that will drive growth for a stable, cutting-edge company. Specifically, this Lux team is focused on applying specific elements of machine learning to better track, quantify, and accelerate technological innovation and its strategic impacts – spanning from clean energy to advanced materials to healthcare.
This position is for the technical lead of Lux’s machine learning, and will report to the project manager for this larger project. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of leading small teams of data scientists, and completing technically complex projects involving aspects of machine learning, like natural language processing.
- Provide technical leadership for machine learning and advanced analytics efforts at Lux Research, including co-developing roadmaps and setting milestones for this budding initiative
- Day-to-day coaching and mentorship of a small number of other data scientists and specialists
- Programming and engineering throughout the entire stack of the project
- Evaluating existing APIs and off-the-shelf machine learning toolkits, and implementing them, along with building custom algorithms as necessary
- Work with counterparts in other disciplines at Lux, including IT infrastructure, syndicated research, and visualization
- 1-3 years of experience managing data scientists and leading their machine learning work
- 3-5 years of experience working as a data scientist, or in a similar quantitative field
- A degree in mathematics, statistics, science, and/or computer science
- Experience with a range of machine learning techniques, as well as broader data science and statistics fundamentals
- Proficient in rapid prototyping, with experience on full life cycle projects – going from ideation to prototyping to deployment and iteration
- Technical competence with the analytics and machine learning toolkit is a must, including strong programming skills (e.g., Python), as well as experience with relational databases (e.g., SQL-based) and visualization (e.g., D3)
- Expert knowledge in natural language processing is a plus, including entity extraction, classification, and optimization of applicable packages
- Experience with neural networks (e.g., using Tensor Flow) is also a plus, but not a necessity
- Great communication and organizational skills are essential, including the ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, collaborative workplace
- The creativity, motivation, enthusiasm, and scrappiness to get things done in an agile development environment
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.