Division Corporate Core Job Type Regular Business Unit Corporate Technology Job Time Full-Time Functional Area RD – Research & Development Experience Level Mid Level Req ID 156377 Required Education Doctorate Degree or equivalent experience Location CA – Berkeley Required Travel 5%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
Our support functions are split into two organizations, Corporate Core and Corporate Services. These organizations provide essential services to better enable responsible and profitable growth.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
CT is seeking a member of its Advanced Manufacturing Automation Research Group of the vertical Automation & Control Technology Field in the Bay Area of San Francisco, California. In this research group, we shape the innovation roadmap towards the advanced manufacturing of the future; in collaboration with technology startups, leading academic institutions and government agencies. We are a team of automation-enthusiasts, innovators, engineers and scientists with deep technical expertise who are passionate about disruptive technologies in the areas of Modeling, Simulation, Engineering, Control, and Optimization. Our deliverables enable the successful transformation of the technology trends in Automation & Control into the business of the future for a multitude of customer products and services.
We are looking for a motivated Research Scientist who would like to be part of a dynamic team in the US. Experienced candidates in these areas as well as those with advanced degrees who have research background in these topics with the skills and interest in applying their research and introducing innovative technologies into Siemens products are appreciated.
What are my responsibilities?
The candidates will be responsible for:
- Scouting and evaluation of new automation & control technologies in collaboration with technology startups, leading academic institutions and government agencies, by working with Siemens Business Units.
- Identify relevant innovative technologies (from universities, startups, government labs, etc.)
- Evaluate technologies for Modeling, Simulation, Engineering, Control, and Optimization.
- Seek advocacy from appropriate Siemens business units on potential use cases.
- Educate and transfer technologies to Siemens business units for product implementations.
- Advice CT management and Siemens business units on disruptive technologies for Automation & Control related to Advanced Manufacturing.
- Lead, and collaborate with others, both within and outside Siemens, to develop successful research proposals for external funding that align with Siemens strategic direction.
What skills are needed to qualify for the job?
- Masters required, Ph.D preferred, in Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering.
- 5+ years of related professional experience.
- Extensive experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches.
- Hands-on expertise in handling and analyzing large data sets.
- Hands-on coding skills and ability to quickly prototype in C++. Further experience in Scripting languages such as Python is a plus.
- Machine learning skills (e.g., reinforcement learning for robot tasks).
- Comprehensive understanding and experience in Automation, Control, Computer Aided Engineering, Modelling, and Simulation.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in English required.
- Experience working with international and multi-cultural teams.
- The ability to multitask and make lead contributions in several projects.
- Ability and motivation to learn and use new technologies.
- Ability to work under uncertainty.
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#
- Experience in applying machine learning and artificial intelligence to industrial problems.
- Technical proficiency in languages such as R, Matlab/Octave, SAS, Python, Weka, ELM.
- Expertise in robot motion control (e.g., force/torque control, position control).
- Experience and knowledge with parameter estimation of dynamic robot models and statistical analysis.
- Previous experience using ROS (Robot Operating System).
- GP GPU programming, runtime optimization.
- Experience with online sensor processing of cameras, lidar, GPS, CAN bus.
- Experience in optimization (Integer/Linear/Quadratic/Nonlinear Programming/Multi-objective/Stochastic).
- Understanding the business of Siemens to identify and apply use cases for new technologies in the area of Automation & Control, e.g. Industrial Automation, Train Automation etc.
Siemens encourages qualified long-term unemployed individuals to apply for open positions.
Offer of employment with Siemens is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check and drug screen, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, disability status, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law:
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. Click here to learn more.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision:
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. Click here to learn more.
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.