PARC, a Xerox company
Ph.D. in computer science, operations research, or related field to design, develop, and deliver innovative approaches, methods, and algorithms for planning and optimization in transportation.
PARC has an immediate opening for a research scientist in the areas of automated planning, combinatorial search, and optimization. The ideal candidate brings a principled education in artificial intelligence (AI) or operations research (OR), has worked on AI or OR application in the past, and is driven by seeing results in the real-world.
The candidate will be expected to take on a leading role in projects spanning transportation, logistics, and manufacturing process planning. Knowledge and experience with planning and optimization in stochastic environments, as well as machine learning are a plus.
A successful candidate is someone who is comfortable in a dynamic research environment, a self-starter who can work collaboratively with a diverse team of researchers, refine application concepts, and take ideas from the drawing board to working prototype. We are looking for someone who can work autonomously, but is engaged and will contribute to the broader research context of PARC. Candidates with an entrepreneurial mind-set are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Design, develop, and deliver innovative approaches, methods, and algorithms for planning and optimization in transportation
- Create and demonstrate working prototype implementations of these algorithms
- Work with the rest of the team to integrate these algorithms into larger solutions
- Work with development teams to mature these algorithms into production quality programs
- Ph.D. in computer science, operations research, or related field
- General knowledge in artificial intelligence
- Record of academic publishing in related conferences and/or journals
- Proven and demonstrated implementation skills (putting theory into practice)
- Proven programming skills in at least one production-software grade language (C/C++, Java, or Python)
- Experience with algorithms for road network planning as well as public transportation planning
- Experience in R&D settings working with Ph.D.-level research scientists
- At least one publication in a major journal
- Good communication skills
- Experienced team player
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.