Division Corporate Core Job Type Regular Business Unit Corporate Technology Job Time Full-Time Functional Area RD – Research & Development Experience Level Mid Level Req ID 155410 Required Education Doctorate Degree Location CA – Berkeley Required Travel 20%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
Our support functions are split into two organizations, Corporate Core and Corporate Services. These organizations provide essential services to better enable responsible and profitable growth.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
The Web of Systems (WoS) research group has been established in Berkeley, California as part of Corporate Technology, the research division of Siemens Corporation. For more than thirty years, leading organizations in the private and public sectors have turned to the company for its expertise in breaking down barriers to innovation and delivering real business value. With more than 250 scientists, engineers, and technical experts, Siemens Corporate Technology helps its customers and strategic partners grow their businesses in the fields of automation, production, energy, industry, information, and communications.
The WoS research group offers a stimulating research environment and rewarding career opportunities in proximity to universities, research institutes, and start-ups. Siemens is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
The WoS research group has an immediate opening for a full-time Research Scientist position to work on R&D projects in applying semantic technologies to Internet of Things applications in industrial, smart buildings, smart grid, etc. contexts. The candidate will have extensive knowledge and experience in semantic technologies (ontologies, rules), semantic web services, and knowledge representation and reasoning formalisms (OWL/RDFS). The ideal candidate will have background in the state-of-the-art, a strong network in the semantic technologies research community and the ability to transfer semantic methods to, and provide working solutions for, commercial, scientific or industrial applications. The candidate should be experienced in publishing scientific papers and applying for grants.
- Apply knowledge representation and reasoning, and semantic reasoning to real-world problems.
- Contribute to research projects and develop semantic models/applications to be executed on various types of systems.
- Advance the state-of-the-art in the field, including generating patents and publications in top journals and conferences.
- Fast prototyping, feasibility studies, specification and implementation.
- Work with customers to understand problem requirements, creating and delivering solutions to such problems.
- Reach out to US research institutes and start-ups for acquiring joint projects.
- Support acquisition of funds from public agencies and Siemens divisions.
- Lead research projects.
- Presentation of research results at conferences and project partners.
- Consulting to Siemens R&D divisions with regards to WoS/IoT technologies and applications.
- Maintaining and developing internal and external contacts.
- Supervision of Master, Bachelor, and internship students.
Skills & Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline.
- About 5 plus years of experience (including Ph.D. study) in related field and successful demonstration of key responsibilities.
- Proven expertise with ontology development and deployment in OWL/RDFS with technologies such as SPARQL, SPIN, and RESTful Semantic Web Services.
- Proven expertise with graph and/or triple stores: population, operations, and application integration.
- Proven expertise in ontology-based inferencing approaches.
- Proven ability to generate and develop new research ideas as demonstrated by a strong publication record and implementation of working system prototypes.
- Strong theoretical and practical background in Web Service Technologies, Semantic Web, Semantic Sensor Networks, Semantic Search, Reasoning, Internet of Things.
- Experience working with reasoning frameworks.
- Established and well connected in the semantic web research community.
- Experience in leading research projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a can-do attitude.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize work.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic team.
- Mix of technical curiosity and feel for business relevance.
- Inter-cultural competences of working in teams with mixed cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in English required.
- Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience
- Experience with standards such as FSGIM, BIM, CIM, EDDL, OPC UA, ISA 88, ISA 95, etc. a plus.
- Knowledge of planning approaches using Prolog/Lisp a plus.
- Negotiation skills in German is a plus.
For more information please refer to our website at www.usa.siemens.com/wot
Siemens encourages qualified long-term unemployed individuals to apply for open positions.
Offer of employment with Siemens is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check and drug screen, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, disability status, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.