The “data wave” is well underway in our industry. We recently built a large data science & engineering team in the Windows & Devices Group (WDG) to use insights from data to help create the best experiences on our devices, software, and services. Our team includes people with diverse multi-disciplinary backgrounds, engineering and analytical skills, relentless curiosity, and a motivation to impact product quality with data. Our team includes both data scientists who perform data modeling and analytics and data engineers who delivers data products and services.
There has never been a more exciting time to work in WDG. We’re evolving established products in surprising ways, inventing first-ever experiences, and blazing paths to new businesses. We’re part of the engineering team creating Windows 10 for mobile devices, PCs, IoT, Xbox, HoloLens, Band, Surface Hub, and more. We work on products like the Cortana personal assistant, the new Microsoft Edge browser, numerous apps, and much more.
Windows development is now more data driven than ever before. As a result, the opportunities for data engineering is limitless and impactful. With more than 1 billion devices in the market, we have an extremely large volume and variety of data to work with, and that data enables our team to challenge the status quo and push the business and our products forward across WDG and all of Microsoft.
Our team focuses on the following high-impact areas:
1. Power data-driven decisions to flight pre-release Windows and continuously update Windows in marketplace
2. Enable Windows and Devices Group leadership to make strategic decisions
3. Facilitate experimentations on Windows features and experiences
4. Enable teams to take specific actions to improve Windows quality and experience based on comprehensive, cleansed, and enriched qualitative feedback data
5. Power near real time alerting for RI self-host gates, Windows Insider experiences, and deployment to retail population
6. Operationalize data science analyses based on cutting edge techniques in machine learning, semantic analysis, data mining, experiments, statistics, and more
To achieve the impact, we use both Microsoft internal and Azure cloud computing platforms. For Azure, it leverages a variety of storage, compute and analytics cloud services (notably HDInsight). In addition, we adopt the best Apache and other open source software (OSS) to solve the data scale and latency challenges. Examples are Apache Hadoop MapReduce, Hive, HBase, Storm, Spark, Impala and Elasticsearch. We have delivered near real time alerting for hundreds of millions of Windows devices at minute level latency, as well as analytics and reporting solutions over terabytes and petabytes of rich telemetry data. These solutions improve the agility of running Windows as a service.
We have an opening for a lead software engineer with strong data engineering interests and skills. The ideal candidate should be proficient in one or more of following areas:
1. SQL Server (Standalone, Azure SQL Database and Data Warehouse)
2. Data warehousing and APIs
3. Azure HDInsight and other cloud services
4. Big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and Elasticsearch
The ideal candidate should also exhibit the following characteristics:
1. Strong problem solving and algorithmic thinking capability
2. Creativity to find pragmatic paths through ambiguity
3. Ability to communicate and collaborate with people representing diverse points of view
4. Willingness to work in a start-up organization with evolving responsibilities and a wide variety of work
The candidate should have a Bachelor degree in Computer Science & Engineering or related fields and 10+ years of relevant industry experience. For the leadership role, the ideal candidate should have 3+ years of experience in people management role, and proven track record to manage a high performance team, deliver with consistency and high throughput and effectively direct, support and promote people.
If you want to help power a world class data science practice and Windows-as-a-Service, learn new and state-of-the-art Azure and open source big data tools, we would like to hear from you.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.