Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Computational Science Initiative (CSI – https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/ ) of Brookhaven National Laboratory is currently looking for a computational scientist with a focus on deep learning for scientific knowledge discovery. The post holder is expected to work closely with researchers at BNL, as well as collaborate with researchers at other institutions. The post holder will research and develop novel, highly scalable deep learning algorithms and applications to support scientific data analysis on various very large scientific datasets. The position is based in the Computer Science and Mathematics Directorate led by Prof. Barbara Chapman that focusses on data analysis approaches at the extreme scale – high volume, high velocity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research, design and implement novel, highly scalable Deep Learning (DL) algorithms with focus on big scientific analysis tasks such as material science, climate, high energy physics, etc.
- Strategy development for the field of DL with focus on our lab’s applications, support in strategic decision making with regard to various science problem.
- Promote the research results through scholarly publications and presentations at leading conferences
- Lead or participate in the development of related research proposals.
- Promote collaborative research with interdisciplinary research team.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math or related discipline
- 3+ year of DL research experience with large data sets in academia or industry.
- Familiarity with deep learning libraries (Theano, Torch, Caffe, TensorFlow, etc.)
- Strong track records of publication in top tier conferences / journals.
- Good oral and written communication and teamwork skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Worked with general ML libraries and toolkits
- Experience with Recurrent Neural Networks and Deep Generative models
- Experience working in multidisciplinary scientific collaboration
- Experience with accelerators (GPU, Intel Xeon Phi) and high performance computing systems
- Track record of producing high quality software on schedule
- The ability to obtain and maintain a DOE “Q” security clearance would be advantageous.
- Moderate domestic and foreign travel
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment.
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.