Cisco Systems, Inc.
Additional Location(s) or Information:
Job Category: Engineer – Software
Level of Experience: Experienced – Non Manager
Requisition #: R1021395
The Business Entity
The scope and definition of networks is being redefined as more devices – sensors, machines, vehicles, etc. – are being connected. The Internet is becoming the “Internet of Everything”, and “Things” are driving an explosion in the number of connected devices as well as the volume of data: The “Internet of Things” or “IoT”. The IoT Software Platform team is building the next generation infrastructure to handle this. The scale required to connect, manage, secure, and move data from these devices in a useful way is unprecedented and is going to require significant innovation to meet the challenge. The IoT Software Platform team’s mission is to meet these challenges.
Cisco is building a world-class team to build the IoT Software Platform, and as member of that team, you’ll collaborate with people who have deep experience in large scale, high performance, highly distributed systems. Our team is powered by people, and our people are empowered, have visibility into customer needs, and everyone is encouraged to experiment and engage in learning that produces results. Our leadership is deeply technical, and has a proven track record of delivering innovative technology. We consider Agile to be a culture, not a process. Test-driven development is a baseline, and we apply behavior-driven development when it makes sense. We leverage open source where it makes sense and lead or contribute to these communities. If this sounds like a place you can thrive, and you believe that untested code is broken code, that working code trumps Power Point slides, we want to talk to you.
We are looking for an Engineering Test lead help build and lead the IoT software platform quality engineering team. This position will partner with product management, development, and operations stakeholders to deliver quality features that enhance the IoT software platform for our customers. You will play a key role in driving Quality Engineering initiatives such as advancing test automation, increasing test coverage, and maturing our continuous integration/testing capabilities.
Role & Responsibilities
This is a leadership position that requires passion around driving quality strategy, architectural alignment, and ultimate business success. In leadership role, your responsibilities will include:
• Help drive the maturity of the IoT software platform quality and release engineering to an enterprise grade state that fosters innovation, predictability, and creativity
• Help drive test architecture, best practices, framework, tools, and systems for a results-oriented organization
• Write high level test plans and review test plans created by Quality Engineers and developers
• Contribute in design reviews of automated test cases and feature code
• Coordinate QA resources needed for each scrum team effort and releases
• Triage issues during the release process to ensure resolution and systemic root cause removal
• Manage complex program level test and infrastructure projects
• Provide objective information about the quality of each release based on a set criteria
• Contribute to our continuous integration and testing capabilities
• Act as a change agent within the organization to improve quality, quantity, and agility
• Attract a top notch team of quality engineers and provide career guidance and growth opportunities for team members
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field degree + 10 years experience or Masters Degree in Computer Science + 7 years experience
• 7 years of hands-on software quality engineering experience, ideally with demonstrated experience in transitioning from manual to automated testing
• 5 years experience managing a distributed team of quality engineers or software developers in the role of Test Lead, Lead Quality Engineer, Quality Engineering Manager, Engineering Manager or related job title
• 3 years experience building highly available, scalable multi-tiered web-facing application
• Practical, architectural-level capabilities in programmatic test automation framework creation
• Practical experience in all types of testing including test planning, test automation design, white box testing, unit testing, and non-functional testing such as performance, reliability, and security
• Experience in developing and/or configuring complex distributed automation harnesses and reporting systems using open source test frameworks such as TestNG, RestAssured and Sonar, Dashing.
• Strong knowledge of various modern test and release automation strategies
• Experience in agile development methodologies, scaled agile, and post-production processes
• Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Deep knowledge of multi-tenant, SaaS technologies, active-active/passive strategies, and cloud-based platforms
• Experience with an Object-oriented programming experience, must have either practical Java, Python, or equivalent Object-oriented programming experience
• Passion for delivering high quality products and working with developers and developer tools
• Help drive CI/CD initiatives to execute regression tests instrumented with code coverage tools and provide code quality metrics to stakeholders.
• Ability to work and thrive in a fast paced, high volume, test-driven, collaborative and iterative environment
• Experienced with implementing back-end services in large / “web scale” distributed systems.
• Knowledge and experience with micro-services design and implementation.
• Knowledge and experience with “Platform as a Service” environments or other application development platforms.
• Knowledge of buffering, stream processing, complex event processing, and storage solutions (e.g., RabbitMQ, Kafka, , Mongo, etc)
• Experience with Cluster enabling solutions with services like Apache Mesos, Kubernetes, service discovery solutions like Consul.io, HA proxy etc
• Understanding on how to develop and test within a continuous integration environment leveraging tools such as Jenkins, Hudson, Bamboo
• Experience leveraging contemporary deployment technologies like Docker, Puppet, etc
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.
Job Type: Experienced
Opportunity Category: Internet of Everything
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.