Slack is looking for an engineering manager to join our Search, Learning & Intelligence (SLI) team headquartered in NYC. Our team's mission is to make the product smarter and companies dramatically more productive the more they use Slack. The work will span many disciplines: search/information retrieval, recommendation systems, machine learning, data science/quality, and natural language processing/understanding.
You will lead a team responsible for adding a layer of intelligent features throughout Slack. It should transform Slack into a chief of staff that helps people focus on the most important conversations, catch up quickly, and discover discussions they would've otherwise missed. You’ll be one of the founding members of the team and office, which just started up this year and is already almost 10 people. The position will report directly to the head of the SLI group; you’ll lead ~3-5 people to start, and a big part of your role will be growing the team with more incredible folks.
If you were to join Slack, here are the kinds of things you would do over the course of a typical week:
- Amplify your team’s output and help adjust its direction so it can quickly ship new features, working closely with product and design.
- Work with the team to identify quality problems, explore potential data sources and algorithms, evaluate the output, and come up with new approaches.
- Dig into data—from usage behavior to experimental results to model outputs—to inform technical and product direction.
- Help build a great team, from sourcing to coffees to interviewing to closing.
Here are things that we consider critical to being an Engineering Manager on our team:
- You have several years in an engineering management / team lead role.
- You have professional experience working on data-driven problems. Examples could range across ranking, recommendations, classifications, collaborative filtering, click-through rate prediction, fraud detection, and so on.
- You are able to weigh several conflicting constraints to make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company. You are pragmatic, organized, and biased toward shipping.
- You are a strong communicator who can succinctly explain complex technical concepts.
- You possess solid computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- You know how the web works and what a good API looks like.
- When things break—and they will—you are eager and able to help fix things.
Here are a few extra things that would lift you up a couple of notches in our eyes:
- Academic background in computer science (BS or MS).
- Experience in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, or Data Science broadly.
- You’ve built large-scale data pipelines professionally and have experience with MapReduce/Hadoop/Spark.
- A deep understanding of statistics (experimental design, regression, etc.).
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.