Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
**Organization and Job ID**
Job ID: 305947
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computational & Statistical Analytics
Group: Data Science & Analytics
Data science at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory performs data-driven research and discovery facilitated by the tools and techniques of computational modeling, machine learning, human language technologies, cognitive science and semantic systems. A core capability is the delivery of at-scale systems to identify, collect, distill, represent, organize, and synthesize data to produce knowledge. Our national security focus drives important challenges in scalable systems and information fusion within the context of large, messy, streaming, distributed, and incomplete data. Positions are available in Richland, WA and Seattle, WA, based on business need.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
– Application of standard theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies within specialty field.
– Independently completes tasks and activities in a team environment; interact regularly with team members and project managers.
– Contribute to the technical content of proposals and technical products such as journal and conference publications and technical presentations will be expected. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
– Contribute to multiple projects simultaneously and work effectively in a dynamic team environment with high expectations for quality.
– Interest, curiosity and technical depth to support the development and advancement of a variety of applied problems specific to the national security community.
– Ability to efficiently program in multiple programming languages such as Python, R, Java, Scala, Julia, etc. and use libraries such as SK-learn and Keras.
– Work under the technical guidance of senior staff; contribute to technical decisions and develop the technical approach for assigned work.
– Application of domain-specific knowledge such as Cognitive Science, Physics, Social Science, Medicine, Linguistics or other analytical domains to advance data science research and its application to various U.S. agenciesâ€™ data problems.
Bachelor's degree with 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree with 0-2 years experience or a PhD.
Expected to contribute professionally, building a professional reputation for technical expertise. Fully applying and interpreting standard theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field with strong software design and development skills with 5 years' experience or a Master's degree with 3 years' experience or a Ph.D. with 1-2 years' experience is required.
Working knowledge in one or several related skill-sets such as:
– Machine learning
– Mathematical modeling
– Computational linguistics and human language technologies
– Forecasting and prediction
– Experiment design and hypothesis testing
**Equal Employment Opportunity**
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
- Directorate: * *National Security Dir*
- Job Category: * *Scientists/Scientific Support*
- Group: * *Data Sciences & Analytics*
- Opening Date: * *2016-10-20*
- Closing Date: * *2016-12-31*
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.