UnityPoint Health System Services
TWO (2) Data Scientist positions available.
This position may sit in Des Moines or Cedar Rapids, IA OR Madison, WI.
Primary Function and Relationship to Organization
Responsible for improving patient care through the combination of advanced analytics, scientific
research methods, and interdisciplinary knowledge from fields such as epidemiology, biostatistics,
and healthcare operations research. Leads teams and provides consultation in the design,
development, and analysis of state-of-the-art analytics solutions to population health, patient
outcomes, and quality areas of focus. Acts as a resource to UnityPoint Health leadership and its
affiliates in the appropriate use of statistical methods and in the interpretation of findings.
Collaborates with corporate and affiliate staff to use both quantitative and qualitative data to
evaluate the organization, service line costs and quality of care. Develops and maintains an
understanding of the current UnityPoint Health information systems and databases. Serves as a
resource on special quality and outcome analysis requiring utilization of statistical and machine
learning techniques. Assists with strategic quality and outcome evaluation of organizational
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
· Applies appropriate research techniques to effectively understand healthcare delivery processes
in support of quantitative model development
· Designs and develops quantitative models, interprets results, identifies trends and issues, and
develops alternatives to support business objectives
· Educate and counsel staff on data interpretation, information and knowledge.
· Create a culture of innovation, learning, teamwork and professional practice, consistent with the
mission, vision and values of the organization.
· Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in all areas of UnityPoint Health.
· Monitor industry activities impacting healthcare business. Maintain a working knowledge of
analytical & technological advances. Keep leadership informed of external trends and issues that may
impact the business.
· Maintain a working knowledge of UnityPoint Health and affiliated databases and data sources
to accurately and efficiently obtain quality and outcome information.
· Provide Executive Director with project status updates, feedback, and appropriate reporting on
Page 1 of 3 | November 12, 2016
· Break down problems into smaller components, understand underlying issues, simplify and
process complex issues, and understand the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
· Lead through change and adversity, make the difficult decision when needed, build consensus
when appropriate, motivate and encourages others.
· Perform other duties as requested by Executive Director to facilitate the smooth and effective
operations of the department.
· Participate in establishing and preparing department strategy, goals, standards and procedures,
which contribute to the effectiveness of the department in accordance with organizational goals.
· Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
· Adhere to all UnityPoint Health Personnel policies and procedures, departmental policies and
· Behave in a manner consistent with all Corporate Compliance policies and procedures.
· Master of Science in Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Analytics or
other related field.
· Requires broadly developed understanding of design of experiments, statistical inference,
prediction, simulation, and machine learning as well as the ability to continually gain proficiency in
related analytical methods.
· Demonstrated proficiency in presenting information to other groups.
· Requires highly developed communications and negotiation skills to effectively work with all
levels of management throughout UnityPoint Health, its subsidiaries and affiliates.
· Demonstrates an ability to coordinate and manage large, complex projects and be able to
negotiate and build consensus among groups or individuals with diverse interests and function
effectively as a team leader in a team environment.
· Demonstrated expertise in statistical programming using software such as R, Python, Weka, or
· Demonstrated knowledge of IT and clinical process redesign for strategic planning efforts.
· Demonstrated proficiency in SQL programming, database design, and/or system architecture
· Demonstrated knowledge and practical use of health information standards.
· Strong leadership skills and ability to work as a team member.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Strong understanding of analytical methods, tools, statistics and data management.
· Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access.
· Must have extensive knowledge of database, spreadsheet and presentation computer-based
· Must be familiar with healthcare business operations and quality reporting.
· Must demonstrate experience as an excellent oral and written communicator and exhibit
excellent interpersonal skills.
Page 2 of 3 | November 12, 2016
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.