American Chemical Society
The American Chemical Society (ACS) provides access to our premier scientific journals to the academic, corporate, and government research communities. Already established as the most-trusted, most-cited, and most-read journals in chemistry-related sciences, ACS products are well-known to and deeply respected by current and potential customers alike.
Division and Unit Overview
The Washington IT Division of the American Chemical Society provides to its members and the worldwide scientific community a comprehensive collection of high-quality information products and services for the practice and advancement of the chemical sciences. ACS’s members and volunteers are the heart of the organization, and the Society and Administrative Technology (SAT) Department within the Washington IT Division aims to support their professional and academic pursuits by delivering intuitive, high quality, highly available, and secure systems and applications. We intend to exceed the expectations of our business partners by anticipating, understanding and validating their business needs; providing useful, cost-effective solutions and support in a timely manner; managing data securely and providing the necessary architecture to use and deliver in effective ways; adhering to established guidelines and standards; and continuously adapting to the evolving environment.
The position reports to the Director of Society & Administrative Technology (SAT) and is responsible for providing leadership and direction in support of Society and the Administrative systems data management and data management technologies. This position provides oversight of data architecture, including Extract, Transform and Load (ETL), cube creation, adhoc and management reporting, analytics, dashboard, and data acquisition from transactional systems. Ensure the data integration platforms and architecture are maintained and services delivered to meet the evolving demands of business functionality and technical platforms landscape. Maintain relationships and effectively interface with senior management, direct reports, other development teams, business/technology customers and vendors.
Work Design: Works under senior managerial direction. Plans the work of unit(s) managed to meet major goals and objectives that have a significant impact on the ACS. Follows established organizational policies and procedures.
- Lead and manage a team comprising of ETL developers, data architectures, data scientists and database administration roles (onsite and offshore).
- Develop and manage budget for area.
- Oversee and maintain an effective architecture, database administration and ETL development.
- Oversee development and on-going management of a comprehensive data organization that aligns with company strategic initiative.
- Lead all data activities from a tactical and operational perspective.
- Maintain awareness of new developments and trends in the data integration and data warehousing space and provide oversight and input for maintaining and evolving data model design practices and data integration architecture for the organization.
- Lead evolution of the data platform architecture to encompass Data virtualization, Big data, Data discovery sandboxes and real time data services.
- Provision data analytics infrastructure to support contractual and operational business goals.
- Ensure proper levels of managerial, technical and analytical staffing/consultants are maintained.
- Responsible for seeking out data business opportunities across the organization.
- Information Lifecycle Management: Discover, protect, archive, and discard data with a goal of improving information security, improve test data management, and reduce storage costs.
- Work with senior management to define the strategy and roadmap for the adoption of data projects, including, marketing, analytics, and business intelligence across the enterprise.
- Identify and develop the necessary tools and techniques to exploit these emerging technology trends.
- Maintains current awareness of standard Washington operations systems and actively researches new technology.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Experience in leading or managing software development teams in a large organization.
- 5 to 7 years management experience.
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.