Luth Research, LLC
Luth Research seeks a Data Engineer that is responsible for devising innovative solutions that collect, store, process and analyze digital behavioral data used for market research. The primary focus will be on choosing optimal solutions to use for these purposes, then designing, implementing, maintaining, and monitoring them. The Data Engineer is also responsible for integrating them within the Luth Research data architecture. The Data Engineer will be working in a fast paced and demanding environment and will report directly to the Manager of Software Development. If you have experience as a Data Engineer and are interested in working collaboratively in a growth environment, apply to become part of our dedicated team today.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Select and integrate Big Data tools and frameworks required to gather and process raw data at scale.
- Design and develop applications using a variety of frameworks and tools
- Work closely with our engineering team to integrate innovations and algorithms into our production systems.
- Process structured, unstructured and semi-structured data into a form suitable for analysis.
- Utilize machine learning, data mining, analytics and statistical modeling on large data sets, to support critical research initiatives.
- Implement ETL processes, including exporting relevant data from hadoop into the Luth Research data warehouse.
- Monitor performance and advise any necessary infrastructure changes
- Support business decisions with ad hoc analysis as needed.
- Work with the development manager and other team members on a day-to-day basis to accomplish key development tasks
- Partner closely with the research team to ensure data collection and analysis needs are met.
- Any other tasks and projects as assigned by management.
Other Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Commitment : Knowledgeable about market research, dedicated to the goals of the company while promoting a positive culture to ensure good relationships, overall satisfaction and profitability.
- Accessibility : Must be able to access and function within areas key to productivity. Adequate manual dexterity to operate assigned and shared office equipment. Ability to travel on periodic overnight and extended stays, and work extended hours when necessary.
- Communications : Must speak clearly and fluently to communicate on a wide range of topics. Above average reading comprehension, and grammatically correct written communication skills. Must have the ability to understand and respond intelligently to business correspondence . Interpersonal skills as needed to persuade, manage conflict, debate and negotiate. Response to pressure should be calm and reasonable.
- Technical : Must demonstrate a high proficiency in understanding and working with basic software and computer skills, to include Microsoft Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Judgment : Comprehension of job requirements and procedures. Can initiate and perform work assignments under minimal supervision that may be broad, varied, and complex in nature. Employee must have the ability to use educated and intuitive judgment to make decisions.
- Flexibility : Must be able to work in a shifting environment with ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
- Analysis : Mathematical aptitude; use of numeric calculations for accuracy of reports and tasks.
- Organization : Organizational and time management skills sufficient to plan and accomplish assigned goals.
- Logic : Deductive reasoning ability to enable the appropriate application of general concepts to specific situations. Able to translate theory into business practices. Employee must apply experience, skills and information to identify problems and plan strategic resolutions.
- Work Ethics : Must be willing to work hard, be dependable and responsible, possess a positive attitude and maintain a sense of honesty and integrity.
- Core Values : Luth Research and its employees are committed to our Core Values; Passionate and Driven * Delivering Excellence * Embracing and Driving Change * Career Growth and Development * Keeping it fun.
Education, Experience & Skills:
- BS or MS in computer science, math or similar field, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience in a professional environment performing analysis, design and development tasks on multiple platforms.
- Thorough understanding of big data collection and analysis, including practical application to solve complex business problems.
- Knowledge of general computer science principles, including distributed computing, object oriented design and development, data mining, machine learning.
- Prior experience with data mining and machine learning algorithms.
- Strong knowledge of data flows, data architecture, ETL and processing of structured, unstructured and semi-structured data.
- Experience processing large amounts of structured and unstructured data via MapReduce, preferably using the HortonWorks Data Platform.
- Experience building stream-processing systems, preferably Storm.
- Practical knowledge of Big Data querying tools, preferably Hive.
- Experience integrating data from multiple data sources.
- Experience with scalable, real-time messaging systems, preferably Kafka and ActiveMQ.
- Experience with relational databases, including practical application in real-time data collection and data warehousing.
- Expert in data modeling, with advanced SQL knowledge.
- Management and support of a production Hadoop cluster, with all included services, including the ability to solve operational issues.
- Prior experience with Linux scripting tools, preferably bash and python.
- Ability to work as part of a team and interact effectively with others.
- Solid communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to explain complex technical issues to both technical and non- technical audiences.
- Highly independent, self-motivated, excellent time management skills.
- Prior experience with cloud-based computing a plus.
- Prior exposure to Lambda Architecture and NoSQL databases also desired.
- Flexible schedule with the ability to work some nights and weekends.
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.