Position Vacancy ID:
Data Center Facilities Engineer
IS SPECIALIST(S45DN) or ASSOC IS SPECIALIST(S45FN)
Anticipated Begin Date:
DECEMBER 12, 2016
This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $60,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and area of specialization:
No Degree Required
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Knowledge and Skills Required
* Minimum two years' experience or equivalent education with multiple brands of server and networking hardware (Intel, Cisco, Palo Alto, IBM, NetApp).
* Minimum two years' experience or equivalent education with multiple enterprise operating systems (AIX, Linux, Windows Server, vmware).
* Minimum two years' experience or equivalent education with TCP-IP, Ethernet, Fiber Channel and similar networking protocols and standards.
* Minimum two years' experience or equivalent education with computer system and network security principles and practices, including host-based firewalls, centrally managed software firewalls, and hardware appliance firewalls.
* Minimum two years' experience or equivalent education with the fundamentals of HVAC, power distribution, fluid dynamics, mechanical and spatial engineering, and energy efficiency principles and practices.
* Minimum two years' experience or equivalent education with concepts and techniques of data center computing, including redundancy, fault tolerance, enterprise computing, all levels of computing related services, relevant electrical codes and fire protection codes.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to create and maintain documentation, build consensus amongst key DoIT and Campus stakeholders over shared data center concerns, and explain in non-technical terms to upper management essential information necessary for long-term strategic planning.
Knowledge and Skills Preferred
* Comprehensive understanding of efficient service management frameworks for change and configuration management e.g., ITIL.
* Project management and time/effort budgeting.
* Ability to act as cooperative technical consultant for critical response situations, novel technology deployment and support, change related conflicts, procedural best practices, configuration standards and final sign-off for major technical projects in the data center.
License or Certificate:
Under the general supervision of the Manager of the Data Center (DC) Group within the Systems Engineering and Operations (SEO) Department of the UW-Madison Division of Information Technology, this position assists with engineering and operationalizing managed, data center facilities solutions informed by campus IT governance and strategic planning. The DC Group is the largest data center facilities engineering resource on campus and is responsible for the day-to-day operation of over 16,000 sq/ft of secure, environmentally controlled floor-space in facilities across campus.
The DC Group provides data center infrastructure services for multiple campus facilities that support complex production systems serving academic computing, research computing, shared IT resources, UW Madison and UW System enterprise applications, SysNet, core network infrastructure, and high-speed regional, optical networks supporting Internet 2. This individual will work with service teams providing IT services to the UW-Madison and UW System as well as the technicians responsible for the day-to-day maintenance and operation of the all physical aspects of the facilities.
Please note that DoIT is not able to provide sponsorship for this position.
Operational needs may require some work outside of normal business hours.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.