The Data Analytics Specialist influences business decision making by providing quantitative and qualitative data analysis of patterns, insights, and trends. Collects, aggregates, and analyzes data from multiple internal and external sources to drive insights
into business performance. Uses advanced analytics and metrics to improve processes and provide data-driven forecasts of potential costs, risks, and profits of business initiatives. Communicates findings and insight to stakeholders and provide recommendations
to business for optimizing performance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Daily work will involve performing one or more of the following activities
• Utilizes strong database skills to work with large, complex data sets to mine and extract insights.
• Filters and cleanses unstructured or ambiguous data into usable data sets that can be analyzed to extract insights and improve business processes.
• Seeks out new internal and external data sources to support analytic initiatives and works with appropriate parties to ingest the data into new or existing data infrastructure.
• Pursues data quality, troubleshoots data validation, and sees issues all the way through to resolution.
• Produces new and creative analytic reports and enhancements to business processes that drive competitive advantage.
• Identifies abnormal patterns and behaviors in our data using machine learning and advanced data mining techniques.
• Researches, designs, tests, and implements cutting-edge algorithms to analyze diverse sources of data that increase accuracy and build competitive advantage.
• Ensures that data and analysis is presented in a format that is appropriate for each audience using data visualization, dashboards, and other methods.
• Understands our value proposition and builds data-fuelled solutions that help or improve customer outcomes and experiences.
• Collaborates with data and enterprise analysts, database engineers, actuaries, and business analysts to understand business problems and develop new analytic solutions that add business value.
• Coordinates directly with stakeholders to interpret and clarify requirements or gather additional requirements needed to understand business objectives.
• Works with cross-functional team members to identify and prioritize actionable, high-impact insights across a variety of core business areas.
• Works closely with management to prioritize information and analytic needs, assists Manager by reviewing the work of data analysts, training and mentoring data analysts to further their skills and knowledge.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Advanced degree (or equivalent) in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Math, Economics, or Computer Science with Modeling/Data Science coursework from a four-year college or university or equivalent combination of education and work experience in similar
positions. Minimum of 3 years technical experience in analytics, data science, actuarial or equivalent quantitative field. Familiarity with business operations in the property casualty insurance industry is preferred, but not required. Ability to multi-task
effectively and work well with others in a team environment.
DATA MINING & PROGRAMMING SKILLS
In-depth knowledge of R and/or SAS and SQL programming are required. Knowledge of information systems, relational databases, statistical and machine learning techniques such as regression and classification models, cluster analysis, neural networks, random
forests and ensembles. Experience in Excel VBA, Python, Text Analytics, data visualization using Tableau and knowledge of Hadoop platform and Spark are preferred, but not required.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to combine disparate skills and thinking to craft solutions and solve complex operational problems. Ability to hypothesize on root
cause of inefficiencies and then test out probable solutions against those hypotheses.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Must be
able to read, write and speak English effectively. Ability to effectively present information to ICW staff, executive management and external audiences.
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.