Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
**Organization and Job ID**
Job ID: 305951
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computational and Statistical Analytics
Group: Applied Statistics & Computational Modeling
This position is for a Chief Scientist in Machine Learning who will focus a significant portion of their time on providing scientific and technical leadership within the National Security Directorate (NSD), focused on growing the data analytics capabilities of the Computational and Statistical Analytics Division. This Chief Scientist assists in guiding and developing Lab capabilities in analytics in both static and streaming application spaces. The Chief Scientist will define and carry out an original program of research in data analytics, growing a research portfolio and developing a significant external funding stream. A fundamental objective is to increase the Laboratoryâ€™s engagements with the world data analytics community to a level commensurate with our strengths and investments in information analytics and data-intensive computing, to ultimately enable the Laboratory to bring superior analytics capabilities to support its sponsor missions. This will require the Chief Scientist to draw on mature technical expertise across a range of computing disciplines, most strongly in the areas of machine learning, data mining, data-intensive computing, information visualization, and human computer interaction.
A chief scientist in machine learning is expected to balance four key scope elements within this leadership position:
-1) Scientific Leadership: This position is responsible for scientific and technical leadership leading to innovation and successful execution of complex research projects, as well as active engagement through publishing and involvement in the external research community.
-2) Analytics Community leadership: This position plays a key role in developing and building regional R&D partnerships both directly and through effective teambuilding and collaboration with sector managers and other senior staff at PNNL.
-3) Staff Development: This position plays a critical role in staff development through the selection, development, recruiting, and mentoring of scientific and technical staff across the Directorate.
-4) Program Development: This position engages directly with clients across the US Government and in industry to develop sponsored research programs at PNNL.
MS with 12+ years experience
This position requires an advanced degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics or closely related fields and 12 or more years of experience involving increasing levels of scientific, management, and programmatic responsibility. A track record of success building strong, new scientific research and engineering programs is required. Exceptionally strong communication and leadership skills are required for this position, which must successfully represent capabilities across the Laboratory, and formulate and implement strategic plans for growth in the analytics arena both in the Seattle region and beyond.
Ph.D. with 10+ years of experience.
– Expert knowledge and strong research experience in multiple areas of computational analytics including data mining, text/multimedia analytics, machine learning, natural language processing, and human computer interaction.
– Ability to lead dynamic, geographically-distributed, multi-disciplinary teams of scientists and engineers to manage complex projects, and a large number of diverse staff.
– The ability to identify problems or issues that have the potential to hinder achievement of Laboratory objectives, communicate same to appropriate members of the senior management team, and assist in determining the optimal path for resolving such issues.
– Ability to work in and support operations in a high-security environment.
**Equal Employment Opportunity**
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
- Directorate: * *National Security Dir*
- Job Category: * *Scientists/Scientific Support*
- Group: * *Appld Stats & Computa Modeling*
- Opening Date: * *2016-10-20*
- Closing Date: * *2016-12-04*
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.